This imagined highway system of the future has turned out to be mostly stunningly wrong. Instead of enumerating all the things they predicted that we don’t have, here’s what they got right.
- Some cars have rear-view television cameras, I think. Mine does not.
- We do more with pre-fabricated bridge components and precast concrete box culverts, so they got that kind of right.
- There’s GPS, and that is pretty neat.
- There is way more containerized cargo and inter-modal shipping.
- And there is the Oresund Bridge, certainly an impressive feat of engineering.