So Google, Apple, Facebook, Twitter, CNN, and probably the Bavarian Burgerbilders got together and kicked Alex Jones off the internet. That’s ironic in two ways. So Big Tech conspired to silence Jones – for peddling crazy conspiracy theories. But Jones wasn’t really a conspiracy theorist. Maybe he is now.
Irony aside, this is foolish. Now that Google and all of them have shown that they can kick someone offline, they’ll have to explain why they haven’t kicked X off line. X is an obnoxious idiot; X is a racist homophobe; X is literally Hitler. Why does X still have a weblog, email, phone service, paypall?
Someone a little more to the left is sure to ask.
In another brilliant operation by The Committee to Re-elect the President, the New York Times defends newest hire Sarah Jeong amid controversy over racist tweets.
- Legalizing abortion certainly implies a significant degree of depravity, but so does putting the question in the first place. By the time people are invited to vote whether or not to let women have their children killed in utero, a lot has already been lost.
- “How true membership in a body differs from inclusion in a collective may be seen in the structure of a family.”
- People say nobody’s supposed to talk about Tommy Robinson, but a lot of people are.
- Why is there no lead-homicide connection in Eastern Europe?
- Patriotic prayer candles?
- In this rather long music video, mean girls mock and humiliate some creepy little geek who comes on to them. That’s not going to end well.
…or something like that. I’m sure I heard that on NPR, or somewhere. Shocking.
If you can’t get enough from the news, here’s a headline generator:
PROPER NAME: Trump Comey Mueller Stormy Pompeo Clinton Obama McCabe Pelosi DOJ FBI ABC NBC CBS NPR BBC Zukerberg Putin Russia Cohen Florida Man
VERB PAST: redacted Googled investigated leaked named
VERB FUTURE: to leak to investigate to pardon to indict to appeal to prosecute to appoint to name to fire
NOUN: dossier report investigation appointment prosecution indictment
BOILERPLATE: says claims
SOURCE: report source insider memo dossier
Busing; Something to think about; or not.
- Population Transformation in Pittsburgh and Chicago, by Aaron M. Renn
- Gang members admit to firebombing black families in Boyle Heights housing development. How is this not ethnic cleansing?
- “I don’t expect your average Muslim to be any clearer on the long-term implications of their faith than the average Christian. They may embrace a world-conquering, infidel-slaying eschaton with all the vigor and clarity with which the typical Christians accepts the admonition to die to ourselves or not commit adultery in our hearts.”
My example of this (at second hand) is the tale of the bad Klansman: an old guy from back in the day. Nominally commited to the Ku Klux Klan, but didn’t really get to meetings as often as he should. In favor of prohibition, but after all a man likes a drink now and then; racist, but the only black man he’d known well (not many around here anyway…) had been a real good fellow; anti-Catholic, but, you know, gotta live and let live, like the Book says; judge not, lest ye also be judged.
- “If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labeled a radical 50 years ago, a liberal 25 years ago and a racist today.” Thomas Sowell said that in 1998. What’s the label now, twenty years later?
UPDATE: Like the man says, Heh: “If you are frighetend by what Trump says about immigrants, you should see what the New Yorker says about people from their own country.” Yes, “people from their own country.”
Fretting about Chik-fil-a opening a restaurant, the writer of the article in the New Yorker doesn’t really consider me to be his fellow countryman. The central questions are, Who is “us?” and Where is “here?”
When the only tools you have are a hammer and sickle, everyone looks like a kulak.
And one more
It seems there are sanctions we have not yet imposed on North Korea; indeed, “the largest package of sanctions yet.” (Trump administration to target North Korea with new sanctions on Friday) These will work for sure.
Is it time to give our guns to Hitler? Not for those who have “been trained since kindergarten to avoid correlating the contents of their minds”. You can find a video if you search for “time to give our guns to Hitler,” but it’s just okay; the best thing about it is the title.
UPDATE 24 February 2018: Wisconsin High School student invents classroom door stop. Nice!